Rhodes Conference - 2014
From June 21 to June 26, 2014, a conference was held in Rhodes, Island of Rhodes, Greece on the topic of
Global Integrity at the Tipping Point: Imminent and Ongoing Threats to the Ecological, Social and Cultural Evolution of the Planet
Registration Fee : 200 €.
Students : 50 €
Dear Integrity Friends,
Our greatest thanks go to Vicky Karageorgou, who has been working tirelessly to help us organize our meeting. The venue will be the Auditorium of the Institute on the Law of the Sea, and our hotel will be the Mediterranean. The price will be 79E single and 99E double per room, including breakfast. The hotel is near the Aquarium, a sandy beach.
Our present plans include our usual Reception Dinner, at the Hotel, the evening of the 21st. The venue is located in a historical medieval building, which cannot be modernized. Therefore there is no air conditioning. Those of you who were with us in Samos, will remember that on that occasion, because of the temperature and the beachside location, we had a morning session, followed by a 4-hour break for a light lunch and either a rest or beach time, before reconvening.Our hotel is not far from the venue, and Taxis are reasonable: about 3E each way, for 4 people. We plan to start the sessions again at about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m., depending on the number of papers received. We also plan a brief boat trip to either islands and more details will be available later.
I look forward to seeing all of you at this wonderful location: I only stopped for a day during a cruise, and I remained enchanted and more than willing to return. I wish you all a happy and peaceful Christmas Season with your families, and look forward to getting together once again.
Laura Westra, Ph.D., Ph.D.(Law)
Professor Emerita (Philosophy)
University of Windsor
Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Law
Sessional Instructor, Faculty of Law, University of Milano (Bicocca)
Visiting Professor, Faculty of Jurisprudence, University of Trento
222 Barrhill Rd.,
Canada, L6A lL2
voice: 905 303-8181
fax: 905 303-8211
Call For Papers : (Deadline for Abstract Submission - February 28, 2014)
Suggested Paper Topics:
- Warsaw and COP 19
- Climate Change and Extreme Weather Events: Mass Torts or Crimes?
- The Loss of Biodiversity and Ecological Integrity: any Progress?
- The Right to Food
- The Right to Water
- The Right to Clean Air
- The Rights of Future Generations
- The Common Heritage of Mankind and the Law of the Sea
- Attacks on Whistle blowers and Ongoing Government Suppression
- The Right to Health: Gains and Losses
- Increasing Refugee Numbers and Conflict Situations
- Mass Migrations, Enclave Societies, and What the Collapse of Civilization Might Look Like
- The Erosion of Civil Rights and Privacy
- Corporate Control and US Exceptionalism
- Child Laws and the Protection of Children
- Cultural Integrity Under Attack
- Militarism and the Attacks on Natural Resources
- Freedom of the Press under Attack
- Professional Values and Integrity in the Modern World Order
- And, any other topic that members have been working on.
Mediterranean Hotel-Details (TBA)
79 € single and 99 € double per room, including breakfast
And a final note from Laura Westra:
For those of you who will be attending the Academy Colloquium in Tarragona, please note that Brunetto Chiarelli in Firenze, will host a "Human Food and Dietary Evolution Conference", July 7-9, at the location of the 2009 GEIG conference, Via del Proconsolo 12, behind the Duomo. As many of you as are interested are welcome to attend. Please get in touch with me regarding accommodation, as we could easily use the same hotel we used before. More details on that later. If appropriate, you could present the same paper you gave in Rhodes. I certainly plan to attend.